Sunday, December 20, 2009

Daybreak In Dixie

High upon a mountain
Beneath a huge hickory tree
Waiting for the dawning,
And a squirrel that I might see.

As I sit here and wait
For the breaking of the day,
There is a rustle in the leaves,
A deer has passed this way.

The starlight is fading fast
A new day is dawning,
The squirrels will soon be in the trees
And nuts will then be falling.

Peeping over the hill
And wishing that everyone could see,
Daybreak in Dixie
From beneath a hickory tree.

Towering above all,
Standing so tall,
Sitting on the hickory tree,
Through the sleepy eyes of a monkey....

Down lies the carpet of lush green,
And the meandering river, what a scene!
The days pass and the nights fall,
Arms of the hickory, ever shielding all!

Rage of the wind, fluttered a leaf or two,
Tears of the sky, wetted its feet too,
From its hands, playing children hang,
Remember my love, the songs we sang??

Come my dear, won't you walk with me,
Come with me to the summit and let us see,
From beneath that hickory tree,
In the lap of this night, the Daybreak in Dixie..
- by Manasa Kalkunte and Alfi Ashraf

PS: This was actually a work of my friend, Manasa, posted on her blog KALEIDOSCOPE, I loved her work so much that I added another 4 stanzas to what she wrote. Simply, just like that :P

7 comments:

Manasa Kalkunte said...

:)

mehdi_ash said...

aha ..........nice work!!!......

D.A said...

wow..wish i had the poetry talent. :)

aria said...

Hi!!! Long time. How are you?? where did you vanish??

aria said...

am checking for a reply everyday but there isn't any :(

hotICE said...

@aria: thank you for coming back to this "defunct" page... he he he.. I'm alive.. the writer in me? i dunno... but you are doing really good stuff

aria said...

aah good to know you are alive.. thanks for remembering me :)
had been thinking of you .. really :)
trust, all is well at your end.. :D