Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Battle Within

Forgive me O blogging world for my unreasonably long break. A natural question that would arise would be, "WHY?" Well, read on for the answer to that very question.

As you must have seen in my blog page, there was a post that said, "En Autobus- Coming shortly". Yes it was supposed to have come long ago. But I kind of took a vacation from the blogging zone for reasons that were disturbing and hurting. Initially it started with the usual lethargy. But later, the happenings around took lethargy to a level that was, for once I thought, point of no return.

It all started with the reports of abuse coming from the Guantanamo Bay prison. Two inmates had committed suicide and the apparent ill treatment of the inmates were flowing out in the media. Obviously, my sentiments were with the inmates. Their crime, by no means pardonable, but definitely deserves a trial and fairplay. So much has been kept away from the world regarding the fate of these people. The photos and videos really painted a ghastly picture of the situation. My attitude? It was just the beginning.

I was at my home in Calicut, Kerala, enjoying the rains on an amazing monsoon evening. Sipping my hot coffee and talking with Trisha on the phone. Its been a long time since I got her on the line. So we were engaged in a long conversation from topics varying from what's-happening to my feelings on the present day situation of the world. Trisha is one of those people with whom I could engage myself in a good and mature talk, and usually, we don't have an idea how time flies once we start. Amidst her busy Mumbai life, I finally got her on the phone, on her walk from the office to catch her evening train.

"Hey Alf! I gotto catch my train now! I'll give you a call once I reach home?"

"Cool! No issues. Have fun! And yeah, take care!"

"You take care! I'm fine. He he he"

"Yeah right!!" and both of us burst into a laughter. And then suddenly, it happened!

The earpiece jarred by a loud sound. And the line got cut. It was weird. Something told me that something was going wrong. I thought it was something else and hushed up my invalidated apprehension. It is an act of instinct that I call back the person when the phone gets cut abruptly, even if it is to say just a "bye!". Strange, as it may seem, I didn't do it at that moment. Instead, I got back to crafting my so called magnum opus titled 12 May 2006: A Day In My Life, which was to feature on The Melting Pot of ICE . However I tried concentrating, the reason for that abrupt end was still lingering in my mind. It got me so much that I decided to give in and try calling Trisha. I tried her number, but the phone was engaged. I tried her again. Same response. I tried a third time. This time the operator lady with an awful voice said that the mobile phone I was trying was either switched off or out of range. Hmmm... Out of range. Strange, Borivali was out of range for mobile networks.

Some TV was the answer for a good distraction. When switched on, fate had entertainment planned out for me with the NDTV 24x7 coming on screen reporting the breaking news which broke the peace of many a minds. All the while, I prayed for only one thing, please don't say Borivali. But who listens to me? Pictures from Borivali station flashed on the screen. I felt numb, choked, emotionless. I had no idea what I was feeling. But I did know one thing, this was going to stab my mind for a long time to come.

My name is Alfi. That's all you know. But my full name is Alfi Ashraf. Yes, I am a Muslim. I was born as a Muslim, I live as a Muslim and I will die as a Muslim. But perhaps not the Muslim that the world perceives to be. I don't have a long beard and a head gear or a skull cap. I'm clean shaven but I do sport a stubble sometimes because of my lethargy to shave. I don't spend hours in the mosque. My friends, barring a few, are all non Muslims. Of course, I do not consume alcohol or eat pork, but that's because of my own reasons and I use religion as a guide that advises not to. I listen to rock and heavy metal just like all of you. And yes, I do love my religion, but not the way these guys do. I have read the Qur'an and learnt its meanings too, though not by heart, but yes, I do have a fair knowledge and I'm still learning.

My name is Alfi. Alfi Ashraf. Born in Kerala and brought up in Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates, which despite being an Islamic country, is very liberal. I am an Indian and I love India. In an India Pakistan match, I support India. I believe India is very much my country, my motherland just any other non Muslim Indian. My mother tongue is Malayalam and not Urdu or Arabic. I have no problems in singing Vande Mataram or even shouting it aloud, because its hardly blasphemous if your belief in Allah is strong and your intention is unharmed. Thanks to AR Rahman, a pious Muslim himself, and a celebrated music composer, who made Vande Mataram what it is today for me.

My name is Alfi Ashraf. A helpless 20 something individual in this world, trying to make an identity for himself as ALFI ASHRAF first, then a Muslim or an Indian or whatever. But his identity is hurt because he is scared whether he'll ever achieve it. Thanks to suggestions on passenger profiling, which by the way, he believes, is only a beginning to what might be an open discrimination against the Muslims. He blames the Muslims for this and not the Americans or the British. He looks around and sees only destruction wherever Muslims are there. He sees suspicion wherever Muslims are there. At the end of the day, he asks, "Is there anything for me to be proud of?"

He thinks that its time we wake up and stop this bloodshed and apocalypse. When the world is leaping to greater heights of development, we cannot afford to have an Afghanistan and Iraq. True, there are evils on this earth. But we must understand, we do not have enough sympathies with us. There is injustice, no doubt, but we have nothing to validate them because, we are committing greater horrors. If the world has gone paranoid, it is because we have given them a good reason to. If we can threaten to blow up anything and everything, then what's the harm in them blowing us up?

Its time! Its time..............


PS1: Trisha was outside the Borivali station when the Mumbai blasts of 7/11 took place. Borivali was also one of the blast sites. Trisha escaped without any injuries as she was outside the station on the phone when it happened.

PS2: This is not meant for generating controversy or bad talk. This was just a compilation of my feelings and the mental unrest I was going through, being a citizen of this world, a concerned Muslim. I request you to please respect my sentiments and if you have any reservations, please express them in a humane manner. Remember, the Qur'an says, Innallaha Ma'a as-Sabireen (God is with those who have patience).

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey alfi!! How r u?
long time....where r u now?! joined? at home?!
Abt d mumbai blasts....wen we heard we went thru similar worries having family n friends there...
Abt the rest of the post....its sad tat we all have our prejudices based on religion, caste, region etc.But there are too many examples in daily lives that ensure that wat ulitmately matters is humaity.....just wish all got tat!
neways u take care....nice to c u back n bloggin!
Enjoy,
Divs

Urvashi said...

If there is one thing I hate the most in this world, it is racial prejudice! When I think of terrorism, I don't at once think of Muslims. It is a sad truth that many others do. Just because a few cause disharmony does not mean an entire population must be showered with suspicion.
I feel ashamed at this very moment to be even called an Indian, because what we are doing is causing our very own country men to feel ashamed or scared, and having to prove again and again that they would rather live in India than in Pakistan, or any other Islamic state.

I'm glad that your friend is safe and sound. Take care!

PS. I've been visiting your blog regularly to see if you had updated yet. Welcome back! :)

Anonymous said...

hey Alfi,

chillax man! dude, the good news is that u are back! and the bad news is you even thought this way.. relax and enjoy life. it isn't something to be wasted on thinking and feeling frustrated over issues like these. Just live your life, do your duties as a good citizen. thats the mantra!

The Individualist said...

No reason at all. Not one reason why a person should feel offended and spit back caustic comments on this post. Well written, or should I say, well 'felt'. It's true, isn't it? That religion, when it was meant to create peace, is creating a lot of unrest and most disturbingly, in the name of religion. Turns people paranoid. Prejudices everywhere. Bomb blasts. When you look at them from an aerial view, you'd wonder what such 'humans' accomplish out of creating hatred, unrest and sorrow in fellow beings. Unnecessary bloodshed. You may ask what I have done in such a world, to smoothen the surface from its ungainly ugly religious lumps that protrude out of it. My best friends do not belong to my religion and the both of them are not of the same religion and that, I shout from the bottom of my flaming stomach, gives me right enough to speak against unjust oppression and bias against a religion and more importantly, bigotry. Against prejudice. Against malice. Against hatred. For equality. For humanity. For fraternity.

The Individualist said...

And yes. It's been a while since I've seen you. The last time around, you were in a more light-hearted mood and sounded very jovial. Remember the interview post, months back? Me remembers. Things don't remain the same for long, do they? For good or for the bad. For good, let's say.

Anonymous said...

Dear dear Alfi,
I must say, I missed you. But look what I found? A different Alfi in a different mood. Where has all those humorous diatribes and narratives gone?

Come on, don't let the activities of some crackpots let you down. Rise up my friend! Your post really made me feel the pain you were going through. Can't see you this way. Get out of it!

All in all, an awesome post. Your narrative style is different and is hard to define. keep it up buddy!

PS: Pl be more regular! I can't write for nuts! its only ppl like you who keep my day eventful!

Cheers
Nick

hotICE said...

@divya:- I know... The blasts are a blot in our history. I'm in Abu Dhabi, UAE, working with dad. Kinda doing good. how are you?

@Phoenix Rises:- first of all thanks a bunch for chekin the blog often. And sorry for keeping you waiting so long. And also, how I wish every1 was like you. Well, lets hope there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

@Anonymous :- You are right pal. I've realised that I have a life of my own.. gotto enjoy;-)

@The Individualist :- thanks a lot bro for the appreciation. and I totally agree with you on everything. wish these people had a more peaceful way of demanding things. And yeah, I am gettin back to my mood;-)

@Nick :- thanks a bunch a man. dunno if I deserve all that praise;-) but yeah, it was very mush heart felt piece. thanks again.

Thank you all. I had thought that I must've been a forgotten story for all of you. Thank you for sticking around. And I promise, I'll strive to be more regular, now that I'm in an office with 24x7 net connection;-)

Do keep pinging to The Melting Pot of ICE

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Hi ,

Well , religion means nothing in friendship .. yes it does matter a lot if u consider marriage and stuff but not in friendship.

And I can appreciate ur concern ... I have Muslim friends too ... it was never an issue when we were growing up , why should it be now ?

Ur religion will become an issue only if u side with the people who have hurt the innocent. i am not even calling them muslim terrorists , cause they could be anyone , tho logically they appear to be muslims .

tc , and dont worry too much

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

and what r u doing after Engg ?

aria said...

Hi! I used to visit your blog regularly - hoping to find an update but thought, you gave up blogging. I've similar moods - with regards to writing - lethargy et all. As for the later part - lemme echo what others have said already . .. very nicely written. I read an article in TOI today about vande matram .. written by a muslim and had been thinking abt it all the same. The politicalization of a beautiful patriotic song is sad ..

My parents say - after the assasination of Indira Gandhi every Sikh with a turban was suspected to be a terroist. They went through the same ordeal but for a shorter time. We can hope and pray - this too shall pass. All said and done - we as Indians are tolerant people in our hearts & minds. There are fanatics in every religion but for years our secular structure did not get broken then why would it now? Rest assured there similar battles within all of us - of identity of future, irrespective of caste or religion.
I really liked this blog.
Do keep writing and welcome back.

Anonymous said...

Hiee!
Read ur latest one...it kept me thinkin for a while...wat i was thinkin was that due to the past incidents of terrorism, people are misjudging our religion. U know wat?...Islam is not so aggressive at all in anyway. If u ask me, I am still and will always be proud that I'm a Muslim becoz I know Islam is only about 2 things..1)achieving salvation through submission and 2)spreading peace.
Allah will take care of these things too. Your articles r gr8 stress relievers but THIS ONE...was not! Would like to see some happy stuff here! Tc!

VirD said...

Your pain is so apparent in your writing...anyone can perceive it very clearly.

I really related to your sentiments about nationality coming before religious affiliation. You're also one of the few people who seems to know the difference between spirituality and religion...something that I pray the world will come to realise in time.

I'm really glad your friend Trisha is alright...I can't imagine what it would have been like to lose someone in a fraction of a moment...although, at some level, haven't we, as members of humanity, all lost a great deal in the form of the people claimed by those blasts?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Interesting post. Shows a side of Alfi that is not normally visible through his blogs though we who know him know this side all too well..

About what you have written, I cannot agree with you more dude ! And by writing about it, you have certainly made a difference. For the media is quick to label any act of violence as "Acts of Terrorism" these days instead of calling it what it should be called - Random acts of violence by madmen. By attaching labels like "Muslim" or "Pakistani" they breed mistrust. I have got Pakistani Friends - And believe me they are simple ordinary people trying to live their lives and do their best just like us. Do they deserve to be branded as well because of a few madmen who may not even share their nationality? As for the label "Muslims" well, frankly I am at a loss about what to say. I have never understood and will probably never understand the difference. As long as we believe in a God and believe we are on this earth to achieve something, what does it matter which religion we belong to? Dont they all say the same thing anyway?

As far as this latest cowardly attack goes, such labels dont make any sense anyway, because being Muslim did not save anyone from the bombs did it?

Dont take it too hard Alfi. The day a single Hindu or Sikh or Parsi or whatever as much as raises a finger at you, there will be ten more of us to stare back at that idiot. So cheer up. Forget the labels and forget the divisions and let us just pray for those whose lives were lost in this insanity. Or maybe we should be praying that their near ones have the strength to bear the loss for those who have left this plane of existence have certainly gone to a better place.

hotICE said...

@ ~*. D E E P A .* ~ : thank you for the comment. I am over this tumultous turbulance of my mind. took some time though. And btw, I am working with dad. we own an engineering firm, so right now, helping dad out with the biz

@ aria : thanks a bunch for dropping by to look for updates. Well, what to say...

@ cute angels : sorry to have disappointed you. well, still, keep dropping by. hopefully there might be something up of your genre the next time you hop in here...

@ noni : I agree with you totally and I am taking your advice seriously!

@ vir : totally go by you Vir, we have indeed lost someone, being a part of humanity. I hope we all wake up tomorrow and see a new world. but god knows when that "tomorrow" will come.

@ parijat : thanks a bunch Paadi! that was so sweet of you to drop by. And your comments are soooo valuable. And thank you, above all, for being there! There is a lot left to discover about Alfi! ;-)

I thank you all for expressing your opinions... keep pinging!!!

shankar ganesh J said...

I am one the few unlucky people who hav lost their frnd for ever.. and i know how much pain it is to miss them for a day even..
I was literally prayin till "PS" waitin 4 u too reveal that nothin bad happend 2 ur frnd!..
hope u cherish n nourish ur frndship for yrs to come..

Whether its frndship or music it never matters who is the owner.. but wat really matters is the hope/feeling that gets into us.. religion is just a useless tag that just spoils the real credit..