Friday, December 16, 2005

Frust & Sunken

The mobile cried out loud at 6:30 am, breaking my sojourn in the dreamland, thanks to snoozing at 4:30am after finishing The Memoirs Of Sherlock Holmes. All credit goes to my campus placement representative, who like every other placement rep, has only one motto- get all his batchmates placed as soon as possible and hit the 100% mark.

I don't find anything wrong with his aspirations, as long as he doesn't bother me with them. True, I am a thorn in the way since I was the only registered candidate in my department who took a bare minimum interest in getting placed with an MNC, Indian or alien, country of domicile no bar. That was evident in my track record; sat for just one company for which I was scantily prepared, when my peers have slogged for every company that steps into the campus. And let me tell you, we have every other day companies coming to recruit the young wannabe techies who hold the future of India; not to mention, that includes me too.

"Alfi! So you are sitting right? The ppt (read as pre placement talk) is at 8:30 in the Octagon conference hall! Is your folder ready? Your CV, project report, training certificate, et al?" the eager Shanky enquired.

"Er... Shanky, are you sure I should sit? I mean, I'm not really prepared. Actually, I have a problem. My fault only. If I can fix it in time, then I'll sit." I assured him. Well, I did genuinely have a problem. All those prerequisites which he had enumerated were not with me. Er.. to be more precise, I didn't have a copy of any of these, the most crucial being the CV. And it was my own fault. Kudos to my lethargy. Well, actually, I'm a strict follower of the Just In Time algorithm, according to which, getting ready with your job before hand is a waste of leisure time. Take this case for example. Why should I walk all the way upto the Octagon, give the damned thing for print out and wait for it in the queue outside the printer room and get it? A certainly better option would be give it for printing and collect it when I come for the ppt. And here is the calculation- if the ppt starts at 8:30am, which is bound to get delayed since we follow the IST which stands for Indian Stretchable Time, it will end by 9:30am, and the printer room opens at 9:00am. Hence it is better to pick it up after the ppt, in effect.

"what's the problem? Tell me man!! I'll help you. If its something as petite as printing a CV, then just don't worry, come to the TP (read as Training and Placement department), we'll print it here. But please Alfi, do not let it this opportunity go!" pleaded my man. I felt I had to be responsible at least for this man, who has been thanklessly toiling to ensure that his batchmates have an assured future.

And here I am, after appearing for the written test, which consisted of 30minutes of General Aptitude and Psychometric Tests, followed by 45 minutes of an Essay and a Case Study, waiting for the results. If the written is cleared, there is an eliminative round of GD (read as Group Discussion) followed by personal interviews.

And let me confess, this wait for the results is so frustrating... Man tell me whether I'm in or whether I'm out! I wanna go home!

5 comments:

Prerona said...

nice big meaty post :)

aria said...

First of all - welcome bck to blogging ..
This uncertainty can be unsettling .. but hold your nerves for the best outcome ..
thts all you can do for the time being .. so why not hv some fun instead! (I know - its easier said than done)
Hope the result is better than - wht you expected ..
All the best :)

cYb0rG said...

You have been tagged... check my blog for details... :)

the Monk said...

people, he got placed...

hotICE said...

@ Prerona: thank you ... theres More Frust & Sunken coming up.. read that too

@Aria: Thank you.. nice to know that you've been dropping by often. trust me the uncertainity is definitely unsettling, but theres some fun in it. the verdict is gonna be given in More Frust & Sunken

@cyborg: Daarling.. I shall do the needful

@Monk: yeah rite!!